Back End Engineer
Join us in making a positive difference to how students learn through our powerful, interactive assessment tools. As a mission-driven company our goal is to power better student outcomes in every learning product in the world.
Learnosity is looking for a back end engineer with strong knowledge of relational databases for our Analytics team to add to our great strength in backend. Our customers deliver tens of millions of tests every month. The Analytics team’s mission is to make this data accessible and more valuable to those customers through our back end & front end analytics APIs.
If successful you will:
- work with and learn from a diverse, collaborative development team
- use plenty of PHP, Go, MySQL, PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, Redshift, AWS Services and other technologies
- build efficient and reusable back end systems
- create robust cloud-based systems used by students globally at scale
- experiment with cutting edge technologies and contribute to the company’s product roadmap
- deliver data at scale to bring value to clients
You will need:
- applied knowledge of relational databases and query concepts in high performance environments
- understanding of ETL concepts and processes
- applied knowledge of design patterns and back end architecture best practices
- experience working with a serverside language in a full-stack environment
- 5+ years experience as a developer
- experience with Git, Mercurial or SVN
- fluent written & spoken English
It would be great if you have:
- B.Sc or M.Sc degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or similar
- experience with Symfony and/or Doctrine
- experience with Go and Microservices
- experience with message queues, e.g. SQS, Kafka, Kinesis, RabbitMQ
- experience working with a modern Big Data stack
- contributed to open source projects
- experience working in an Agile environment
This is a full-time role where you’ll be working with a diverse team in a great office based in Sydney's CBD. We are a values-based company, and our 4 core values are the basis for how we work and what we do every day. Being a part of the Learnosity team means that you’ll get to join us in living out these values:
- We live to learn
- We aim higher
- We do the right thing
- Our success is better shared
Personal Development: Our team is on the cutting edge of web development and we want it to stay there. We encourage staff to get involved in individual advancement and professional certification programs. You will have your own learning and development budget and we will sponsor certification exams where appropriate.
Flexibility: We are keen to help you maximise the value of your time by allowing you to design a schedule around your preferred working style. We’ll do our best to meet your needs, whether you need to accommodate children, avoid busy commute periods, or attend a gym or sports club. Learnosity also offers above-and-beyond parental leave and we work with our employees to ensure a successful return to work following parental leave.
Community: Working together is key to our shared success, so creating a respectful and inclusive work environment for everyone is a top priority. We enjoy a community culture that covers a broad range of interests like board games, yoga, mixed volleyball, journal club, jigsaw puzzles, video games, pool, and more! We also make sure to organise regular team activities and celebrations of our major accomplishments to recognise everyone’s hard work.